Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hutch-Desk Re-Do

When I found out I was pregnant and immediately started making plans for decorating an adorable nursery I knew I had to first figure out how in the world I was going to clear out the room that we had been using as our home office/craft room/junk room/"I don't know where to put this so I'll just throw it in here" room.
I had the idea of some kind of hutch I could put in our living room that I could close up the doors and hide the ugly mess inside. I had seen them before at furniture stores but I really didn't want to spend an arm and a leg just for a piece of furniture to hide my junk.
Then one fateful day I was out shopping with my sister and we stopped at a new thrift store in town and low and behold I found exactly what I had been dreaming of! It was a pretty awful orangey fake wood color and the price tag said $65. It was perfect but I still didn't want to shell out that much cash. The shop owner saw me eyeing it and told me if I would buy it that day he would give it to me for $25. I didn't even have to think twice! SOLD! (I got a little ahead of myself and took all the doors off before I got a "Before" picture)
After my amazing Dad hauled it to my house for me it sat in my garage for a while so I could procrastinate what to do with it. I eventually settled on a light green color and my awesome Husband and I set to work. We primed...

we painted...


We painted again. It took soooo much paint to cover this beast! But I absolutely LOVE the final product!
I decided to cover the insides of the doors with cork to create a message board area. I purchased cork tiles that came in a package of four and included the adhesive. Lucky for me they were the perfect width so I didn't even have to do any trimming!




To make the fancy push pins I just hot glued buttons onto regular pushpins. So easy and I absolutely love the way it turned out! Now to fill it! And the best part is the whole project only cost a total of about $50!


No comments:

Post a Comment