Monday, May 16, 2011

Wooden Sign

I started with a 12x8 piece of wood. I  like buying my wood from the shelving section at Lowe's instead of the regular lumber section because it tends to be cheaper. Just make sure to check that your board is not warped before you buy it.
I cut the wood down to 44 inches long, but you can cut it whatever length you need to fit your vinyl.
Then, before I sanded or painted, I used a pocket knife to take random chunks out of the wood all around the edges to give it an aged look. Then I sanded it down and painted it my favorite color - Wilderness Adventure- a bright olive green.

Once the paint dried, I sanded down all the edges to add to that aged look. I was then able to apply my vinyl lettering and add the knobs. I found the knobs on clearance at Lowe's and my intention was to spray paint them an oil rubbed bronze finish, but once I saw them against the green I loved them just the way they were. After all was said and done the green was still a bit too bright so I rubbed a rich mahogany stain over the entire thing and it was just the finishing touch it needed!

I hung the finished sign above our headboard to add some much needed color to our bedroom. I found these clear plastic photo sleeves at Walmart and my plan was to put different pictures of my husband and I in them and hang them from ribbons like this but I just haven't found the right pictures yet. I'm kind of loving it even without them though!

No comments:

Post a Comment